Monday 25 November 2019


Living Library: The Fashionate Five


"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street. Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."
- Coco Chanel 



Australian Fashion Week

When you think of 'fashion' what first comes to mind? Superficial? Frivolous? Short-lived? Creative? Fun? This event may change your perception!

In celebration of Australian Fashion Week approaching in May, Pearl Cove Library invites you to join us for a fascinating chat with our fashionate five! What is 'fashionate' you wonder? It's someone who's passionate about fashion. Who are the 'fashionate five' you ask? They are our Living Books of course!

During this event, people called 'readers' borrow 'books', namely human volunteers with a unique experience. It gives the opportunity to engage in open, respectful and meaningful discussion. All for the purpose of fostering understanding, diminishing stereotypes and celebrating or acknowledging diversity in lifestyles and ethnicities that may be stigmatized or taboo in society.  

Interactions occur in a safe, supportive atmosphere with clear guidelines. 'Readers' can choose from an assortment of 'book titles' and they are able to borrow 'books' for up to 1/2 hour.



Meet our Fashionate Five:
Kendra Missall
Alternative
Fashion
Model
'Striking an Alternative Pose' 
Howdy, it's Kendra! I'm a professional model for alternative fashion magazines which include alternative clothing and accessories brands. I have body modifications that consist of tattoos, piercings and scarification. My topics of conversation will relate to the actualities of alternative fashion modelling and my passion for alternative fashion and modified physical appearance.


Ling Wu
Fashion Historian &
Costume Curator
from the
Pearl Cove Museum
'Chronicles of Style & Substance' 
Hey there, it's Ling. I'm a fashion historian/costume curator with 4 years experience under my belt (pardon the pun!). I will give a glimpse into the fascinating and mysterious world of fashion from ancient times up to the present. It is labour-intensive work, however very rewarding as it is peppered with exclusive encounters - such as getting up close to Catherine de Medici's first pair of heels! And speaking of encounters, rumour has it that my co-workers have felt or seen apparitions in the Museum's costume storehouse!
                                                             











Benjamin Larz
Sneakerhead
'Sitting at the Feet of Sneakers'
What's up? It's Benjamin. I have an impressive collection of 450+ sneakers and growing. Yes, you read that right!. I'm involved in the fashion subculture of 'sneakerheads' which collect, trade and/or sell and value sneakers. There are all sorts of trading events, social media, magazines and groups dedicated to this subculture which includes our own slang. I'll be chatting about my collection of sneakers and the reason for my passion - plus if you're lucky, I'll spill some industry secrets! (Where I buy my sneakers from, how I sell them, and to who I sell them!)


Des'ree Hawkins
Local
Indigenous Australian
Fashion Designer
'Behind the Indigenous Bobbin'  
Hey, it's Des'ree! I design sustainable women's clothing that showcase contemporary Indigenous designs. I'll be discussing my experience of the realities of being a fashion designer, the environmental impact the fashion industry creates, as well as growing up Koori.















Sebastian Turner
Instagrammer &
YouTuber
'A Tailored Gent' 
Hi, Sebastian here. I'm a full-time Instagrammer and YouTuber who has a special interest in tailored men's clothing. I'll be talking over my experience of being an Influencer in the fashion world, including how I earn my money. I'll also be giving a little fashion advice if requested. Remember, fashion fades, style is forever!




Come & join us! 



Event Details
Date:             Wednesday, 1st May 2019
Time:            1.30pm - 6pm
Address:      Pearl Room, 7 Pearl Avenue, Pearl Cove 2256 (next to Pearl Cove Library)
Cost:            FREE
Age:             16+
Bookings:    Eventbrite or Pearl Cove Library Information Desk or
                     ring Pearl Cove Library on (02) 9422-7895
                     (Places are limited. Please book early to avoid disappointment.)
Enquiries:   Ring Pearl Cove Library on (02) 9422-7895 or 
                     email: alexaevents@pearlcovelibrary.gov.au

This event has wheelchair access as well as accessible toilets. 
Doors open at 1pm.



Additional Information:
Human Library: https://humanlibrary.org/
Human Library Australia: https://www.humanlibraryaus.org/



Image Sources:
Catwalk: Catwalk.jpg
Kendra: Kendra.jpg
Ling: Ling.jpg
Benjamin: Benjamin.jpg
Des'ree: Des'ree.jpg
Sebastian: Sebastian.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.